The Sarabande Internship Program is growing! We will now offer four internship positions every Fall, Spring, and Summer. Interns who complete our program gain the skills, references, and experience to launch their career in publishing.
Each intern will work closely with one of four major departments, but will receive comprehensive exposure to Editorial, Marketing, Development, and Programming. From September 1 through November 15 we are accepting applications to fill our Spring 2017, Summer 2017, Fall 2017, and Spring 2018 openings.
Responsibilities may include:
- Follow production process from manuscript acceptance to finished book.
- Assist with special marketing and outreach initiatives.
- Assist in planning local events and readings.
- Update our website and blog and create monthly e-newsletter.
- Proofread manuscripts and publicity materials.
- Organize contest submissions and respond to guideline requests.
- Help with grant research.
- Attend monthly staff meetings.
- Meet with editor-in-chief and managing editor.
- Perform daily office duties, including mailings, answering email and phone, data entry, errands.
Interns work from our Louisville office 11am-4pm, Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Interns will also be expected to work up to two local events per month (book festivals, conferences, fundraising events) that may land on weekends or evenings. Please only apply if you have reliable transportation. Unfortunately, this is an unpaid internship, but we highly encourage students to apply for college credit. We will work as best we can with your University's internship for credit requirements.
We will ask you for:
- A cover letter describing your interest in Sarabande Books.
- Your resume
- Your top fifteen contemporary books of poetry, fiction, and nonfiction (in any combination)
We accept entries from September 1 through November 15 each year. Please follow the submission guidelines provided below:
- Full-time undergraduate Kentucky college students only
- Submit no more than three poems in a single file
- Upload a copy of your student ID
We accept essay manuscripts for consideration each September. Sarabande Books publishes essay collections between 150-250 pages in length. Please include an acknowledgements page in your manuscript or cover letter. Simultaneous submissions are allowed, but please notify us immediately if your manuscript is accepted elsewhere. A $15 reading fee is required for each manuscript submission.